Wednesday, June 17, 2015

mixed berry scones

Scones! I have never actually made them before, but recently I had an incredibly delicious blueberry one at my cousin's baby shower and then several weeks later thought.... hey I should make some of those, but I didn't have any blueberries and as is often true with me and baking I was feeling too impatient to wait. I haven't been doing much baking lately, things have been busy, but the inspiration struck me and I was unwilling to let the moment pass.

To pinterest we go!

I did a search based on what I had on the house.... frozen mixed berries and was rewarded with this....

!cid_20150616_161248


Pinterest was flooded with pictures of these mixed berry scones, I took that as a good sign.

So I grabbed my trusty kitchen aid mixer and got to work.

Into the bowl I tossed
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
and a pinch of salt if you'd like

I gave that a little stir to mix it all together and then threw in..
 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed

I set my mixer to stir and let it go until it was sufficiently cut in. Think pea sized and smaller butter balls.

Next to go into the mixer....
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream (I actually used greek vanilla yogurt)
 1 tsp vanilla

Again I set my mixer to stir and mix until the dough comes together do not over mix.

Last to go in the bowl...
1 slightly heaping cup of frozen mixed berries
Either fold into the dough by hand and with the mixer until they are just combined.

Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and knead it into an 8 inch round disk. If the dough is overly sticky sprinkle it with additional flour. Using a sharp knife, cut the disk into 8 equal wedges. Move to a baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes at 400 degrees F.

Oh my goodness these were so so good. The kids, of course, couldn't be bothered with them, but Mike and I both thought they were a home run. They didn't even need butter, they were that tasty. Making these in the mixer, they came together so quick and with little mess. My favourite kind of recipe.

You can check out the original recipe at Averie Cooks. I skipped the glaze her recipe called for. I just didn't think it was necessary.

No comments: